Wednesday, March 07, 2018

I would walk 1,000 miles…

You probably remember The Proclaimers “I’m Gonna Be/500 miles” song (“But I would walk 500 miles/ And I would walk 500 more/ Just to be the man who walks a thousand miles…”)?
Well, when I had a health scare last April, my consultant asked me what exercise I did. I responded by saying I walked every day. “How far?” he asked. “I’m not sure, but probably something like 3 miles a day” I replied.
Actually, I realised that I didn’t actually know how far I walked on a daily basis, so decided to make a spreadsheet (yes, I know!) to monitor things. I don’t use a fitbit app or a step monitor, I simply plot my basic routes via Google maps – so I think the results provide a fairly conservative figure for the distance I actually do cover on a daily basis. I certainly didn’t change my walking habits, I simply made a note of how far I’d walked.
Well, it’s been interesting just monitoring my daily walking routines and, in fact, it turns out that, on average, I DO walk just over three miles a day.
Indeed, in the 46 weeks since I started my walking spreadsheet, I’ve covered 1,000 miles (that’s, on average, some 22 miles a week).
In other words, since 22 April 2017, I’ve walked the equivalent (according to Google) of John O’Groats to Lands End (874 miles) and then back beyond Exeter!!

No comments: